Monday, February 28, 2011

Travel: Bangkok, Thailand (Part I)

Day 1 - Suvarnabhumi International Airport 

Considering the number of people standing in the immigration hall, Survarnabhumi airport is probably the most crowded airport I've been to. Honestly I had never seen that many number of tourists in one place. Ever. What's even more funny is that the advertisement TVs above our heads was taking credit for having an average viewing time of 2 hours for each viewer. That's only shy of half an hour than the time I stood in the line before they chopped my entry visa. 


Suvarnabhumi Airport Immigration check-point
After walking out of immigration check-point with a tremendous sense of relief, I hopped on an express bus to my hostel I had reserved for two night in advance, HQ hostel. 

HQ Hostel

HQ is a brilliant little place down in Si Lom street. And although I was staying in a dorm room, I enjoyed every moment of it. The hostel was just like an entertainment center with free wi-fi, a collection of books and magazines, and a LCD hooked up to a PS2 and a DVD player with a shelf full of bunch of movies. It was there when I checked into the room and I met a friendly seasoned French traveler, Jean-Paul who couldn't speak much English but definitely could share the story of his adventures through his photographs. He even had himself a blog which thanks to Google translator, it spoke a lot about him.  

Later at night, I just couldn't resist the temptation of playing some PS2 anymore. That's when I met Ben from Hungary and I started kicking some football on FIFA for a round or two before heading back straight to bed to unwind from a tiring day.

I highly recommend HQ hotel as it was clean and the staff were more than friendly and helpful. As of 11th July 2012, they have even been awarded a 4.5/5 certificate of excellence from tripadvisor. Their room fares were also more than reasonable.

Certificate of excellence awarded to HQ hostel, Bangkok


Day 2 - A Day Around The City 


Ben and I took the boat down the city canal and ended up by the Sukhumvit MRT station. The boat wasn't a touristy thing, it was actually a mode of transportation for the locals around the city.

Boat ride around the city

A mode of transport for the locals in the city of Bangkok
After parting ways with Ben, I made my way to Bangkok railway to meet Rahel, a couchsurfer from Switzerland. She was a very sweet girl even from the first moment we met and so it happened to my delight, Rahel had just gotten to Bangkok just like me a day ago. We roamed the streets around the station trying to find Chinatown. Finally, tired, hungry and dehydrated, we stopped by a restaurant and swept the plates as they arrived on our table. 

First proper meal after arriving in Bangkok
It was so freaking hot in Bangok that if you walk for a few hours, you can't quit the thought of a  cool shower and a set of fresh clean cloths out of your head. Rahel stayed in NapPark Hostel in Khaosan road, so after freshing up, we planned to get back together later that evening to meet some few other couchsurfers at the only Burger King outlet in Khaosan.

A Night With Bugs 

The new group of couchsurfers we met turned out to be a wonderful bunch with some visiting Bangkok on their way back to Philippines, some only traveling through and a few others who worked in Bangkok and knew most of the places around.

Dominic from Philippines 
Catherine from Philippines

Simon from New Zealand

Lea from California, US

Jessie James from Philippines 

Richard from Philippines 

And ofcourse Fitria from Indonesia, a friend from Russia, and Rahel

Group photo of the awesomest people in Bangkok  
That day particularly was one of few days in the entire year where selling alcohol was illegal due to a religious festivity I believe. Elections is another day of the year in which selling/buying alcohol could get you in trouble. The same night, with the hopes of probably finding a place that serves beer after midnight, we all head out. Couple of hours later we found ourselves at the back of a random bar, drinking beer with fried grasshoppers, silk worms, and frogs as snacks. Frankly, to me, they had so little taste if you must know, but crispy the way one would like it. We took turns taking them in one by one until the plate was empty.

Our epic faces while taking in those bugs was most probably the funniest part of the night. 

Khaosan Road

Our share of fried insects for the night

Fitria, a pro

Skeptical Lea 

Epic-est face the entire night

Day 3 - Weekend Market

There were so many instances where I felt I was just at the right place at the right time. Today (Saturday) was the time of the week where the weekend market was the beating heart of the city where everyone gathered to barter their way for the cheapest price on their wanted items.

Chatuchak park MRT station, weekend market happening place
This is where I first met the 'pharmacist' Diana from Austria. Being the only guy, I just resorted in taking photos while the ladies (Lea, Catherine, Diana, and Rahel) did what women do best: shopping. As soon as we were tired of all the walking and shopping, we sat to indulge in the best pork soup around the block. And believe me, it was so yummy, I finished the whole thing in an instant even though I had inhaled a kebab sandwich 15 minutes earlier.  

food stalls, Weekend market 

Rahel and Diana busy shopping 

A second round of shopping was due to continue right after lunch at some totally different part of the city. 

Red Shirt Activists

Taking a cab down to Platinum mall, the taxi driver was telling us the area around the mall is filled with Red Shirts, so he would not drop us right in front of the mall. I was secretly ecstatic knowing that I would get to first hand witness of Red Shirts protesting. 

Platinum fashion mall, Bangkok 
After reaching there, we watched the happy Red Shirts drive by for a while. Later the girls proceeded into the mall, I stayed to take some photos from the crowd. There was something likable about the Red Shirts that made me smile. They were really friendly and go-happy. They even waved at me as I was taking the photos while they danced to the music that was being blasted from the back of the cars.

The music was blasting and everyone seemed to enjoy it, including me 

Red shirts, Bangkok - Thailand

'Red Shirt Never Dies'

Shopping spree was soon over for the girls. Now they only needed a good foot massage after all the walking. If a girl wants something, they'd get it done. That's a rule. Let alone having four of them. All it took was another cab ride down to Khaosan road. 

Rahel and Diana's happy faces taking a foot massage 

My sexy legs 

To get around town you can also take tuk-tuk (a three wheel bike). But they are not as cheap. if you must, for the thrill of it, just take a tuk-tuk once or twice but cab is surprisingly much cheaper given they use their meters. Unless you have a local around to bargain the tuk-tuk fare down to a reasonable price. Also after midnight cabs charge no extra fee as opposed to Malaysian taxi system. So just take a cab when you need one without the guilt of having to pay a lot for taxi fare.

Shisha in Bangkok 

That night I had arranged a meet with Christine, a local girl I had been contacting through Couchsurfing before I even embarked on my journey. Refreshingly a couple of her other friends also came along and we all made a night out of it. We dropped by the first place we could find to take in some few drags on hookah/shisha. I sure enjoyed myself learning more about the local lifestyles and sometimes just a heart-to-heart chatter. 

Lovely Tanya (right) and Sirayakorn  (left) 
Shisha/Hookah in the heart of Bangkok 

Christine :)
Clubs/bars are interestingly open all the way until right before sunrise if they do still have customers. So have a drink and enjoy the upbeat crowd walking around at the night market that's open until about 2am in Khoasan road.

To be continued.. 


Last updated: 11th July 2012
       

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...